Saturday, November 25, 2006

“The sweetest part is acting after making a decision..”
(the indigo girls)

Well, how are things going so far? We still are not open yet, but I am holding on to hope that it will be by the end of the month. We are still waiting on a bathroom fan. Other than that, things are coming together, and I will have pictures of it soon. So in the mean time, let me ponder some things with you….

We have been called revolutionaries, and pioneers. People have said all kinds of wonderful things about our mission here. (I am sure they have said some less than wonderful things too, but our leaders are good people who don’t let me hear any of them). Now don’t get me wrong here, I love that they all feel this way!!!! But allow me to point out the fact that I have, as of yet, not done anything. We are not open. No baptisms, no testimonies, no tattoos, no stories, no not one, no not one. “But” I hear you say “you have made us thinks about some things”. This may be true, and a wonderful thing to be sure, but for me, and maybe only for me, this is a dangerous bit in the road. Allow me to explain…

Thinking a thing, and actually doing it, are not the same. I know that sounds simple enough, but for years it wasn’t all that apparent to me. I would sit around with the rest of my friends, and talk all about the things we were going to do…. someday. Oh the plans we made! They were good plans too! But the sad truth of the matter is that I didn’t get my head out of a bong long enough to do them. And on those rare occasions that I did, my good friend Jack Daniels tended to talk me out of it. I know that kind for thinking is a cop out however. I could have done those things, but I chose not to. I chose to keep being distracted by all manner of amusements instead. Those days are long behind me now, but the point is still valid. Even in the inner workings of a church environment. I don’t know how many times I have watched great ideas die in committee. Good, Godly things to be done, yet no one ever actually did any of them for one reason or another. Why? Well, it is my opinion (and only an opinion) that it takes too much effort.

Between the time I started to type this, and now, I was handed a bill for part of the shop opening. I also have a rent payment due, a car payment, and insurance payment, etc… And since we are not open, I am not making any money, nor have I been for some months now. So the bills are coming due on this little dream of ours. And even though I have put a lot of work into opening Sacred Ink so far, the real work still lay ahead. The work of the day to day, the mundane, the bill paying kind of days. Not to mention the ministry that still exists in theory! Saying this will be a great opportunity for ministry is one thing, being a minister is another. Yes, to the work, to the work, as the old song goes. But wouldn’t it have been easier to just talk about all of this? We could have sat in nice coffee shops, and worn blazers with leather patches on the elbows, and used words that normal people don’t use in normal conversation. Maybe I could have written a book?!?! That would have been cool! But then again, that little store front at 4007 East 9 mile would never have even had a chance. And maybe that man or woman that I will meet someday would never have a chance to hear about a better way.

Jesus talked a lot about Kingdome work. But if you look, He often talked while working at the same time! And since He is my boss, I too will talk while I work. I will do what I can “to drag this dream into existence” (Obscure Rush reference. Extra points if you know the song!). I believe this is a God thing! So I am going to do my best to act like it. I would urge you to do the same. If there is something in your life that needs to be done, and it seems like a God thing, then by all means do it. If you find that there is an idea that is keeping you up at night, and interrupting your favorite show, than you may need to look into it. Don’t let the opportunity go by. Yea, I know it is probably hard, and defiantly inconvenient, and your friends and family might think you have gone nuts, but relax. You’re in good company! Even a quick read of the gospels will show you people who were called to live a Kingdom life… not a convenient one.

Keep prayin’ and I’ll keep workin’

Pete

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thought of you tonight -- there was a tattood pastor on Miami Ink, it was cool!

PatrickMead said...

Well written, as always, Pete. We'll have to have you tell the whole congregation that someday soon. (Imagine -- your name in lights on the marquee as you play The Big Room!) An aside -- exactly WHAT is Josh doing on that wall? I mean, I know your bathroom isn't ready yet but, jeez!

Pete Grant said...

Ahh yes, the lights, the applause, I can see it all now.. I'm Ready for My Close-up, Mr. DeMille!”

And, for your information, the Lads always were enamored with the “Who’s next?” album cover…

Pete

subartist said...

Hey man it is great to see that hopefully all is going well. Things sure are different without you here in Kansas. Hope that God continues to guide us all in our walks through life. I know that he has been carrying us a lot sometimes. Talk to you later.