Sunday, November 19, 2006

I know it has been a while since I have posted, so let me make lame excuses…


We were laying the floor, and I was using a large rubber mallet. Here is a word of advise; don’t look the other way when swinging a large rubber mallet!!!! As you can see it is not the best thing for your fingers. I hesitated to post this picture because I am sure many of you wouldn’t even have noticed, much less slow down your work. I however am a whiney wimpy sort. And I find it rather hard to type without the tip of my left index finger. But as always there seems to be a lesson here. But first, here is a word from our sponsor…

Things are moving along here at the tattoo shop. The floor is almost in, and much of the furniture has been loaded in and put together. We have had our first round of inspections from the city, and now we need to put in a bathroom fan that vents outside in order to get our certificate of occupancy. So while we wait on that, we are trying to get some of the details locked down, like how to display the flash. We hope to be open for business by the end of the month. Now back to our profound thought of the day…

So where were we? Ah yes, pain. One thing about it, it tends to show you your limitations. And that is a good thing. You see, I am a person who tends to try to do everything for himself. For some reason I find it almost impossible to ask for help on anything. It really is kind of funny when seen from a third person perspective! However, since my little lesson in the laws of physics, I have had to say “I can’t do that” and “I need some help with this”. May not seem like a big deal for you, but I have realized that it is for me. It has also delighted my friends who are working with me. They even had to take the hammer away from me.

Now physical pain is one thing, but we all know there are far worse pains in life. My finger is an annoying inconvenience, and it will heal. There are other forms of injury that last a lifetime. The big question is not if, or why you have them. It is how are you going to handle them. My wife (a wise woman with lousy taste in men) said that perhaps it was God’s way of teaching us to let go of the illusions that we are in control. It forces us to live day to day, and rely on God for the strength to make it to the next one. And some days that is easier said than done!! Our pain draws us closer to God, but only if we allow it to. We have to be willing to ask for help. Man it sucks when those little daily problems teach you big spiritual truths!!! Whether it is a sore finger, or depression, or addiction, or family issues, or anything else for that matter, life can be painful. And we all need help from time to time.

Now everyone who has a tattoo knows that they hurt. But when the pain is over, you have a cool tat to show for it. And it is something you get to keep forever. So what do you get for the other pain in your life? What do you have to show for it? How can it be redeemed? Simple… you pass on what you have learned. There are going to be people in your life that are suffering with what you have been through (or are going through now). They will need your help! And guess what? They may have trouble asking for it! Yea I know that is hard to believe isn’t it? But if you can share what you have been through with someone who is suffering, you can help them. Sometimes it is in a small way, and sometimes it is a huge thing. But you may never know which one it was. And that’s ok, because this isn’t about you.

So I guess it all comes down to this; life is hard, and we all could use a little help. So don’t be stubborn like me, and ask for help when you need it. Then give help when you can. That, along with strength and faith from God, will lead you to a meaningful life. Not a pain free one mind you, but meaningful none the less. Now it is far too frustrating to type without using my finger, so I will let you all go for now. Thanks for checking in, and keep us in your prayers, we obviously need it.

Pete

1 comment:

PatrickMead said...

Cool post -- especially since I'm still humming Tom Lehrer's "The Masochism Tango" as I work in the office.